- Visit Boplaas and De Krans for Port Tasting:
Boplaas and De Krans offer award winning port that is internationally recognised. Buy a bottle for your granny. What may be even more exciting is that they offer the most delicious Rosé, Red and White Wines that are so reasonable.We’re talking R80 – R90 per bottle and believe me, it’s exceptional drinking. Buy a case and bring it back to the big smoke.
Danielskraal Farm recommends:
A Twist of Fate and their flagship wine, the Tritonia Calitzdorp Blend.
Pinot Noir Brut Sparkling 2018
Boplaas Pinotage 2017
- Take a day trip to Prince Albert
Prince Albert is undoubtedly charming and scenic. From Danielskraal, take a scenic drive over the Swartberg Pass to this little town. Prince Albert has become renowned as a foodie destination so you must pop into African Relish for a cooking course and squizza round: https://www.africanrelish.com/ and our personal favourite: Gay’s Dairy:
The cheeses are to die for.
Gay Van Hasselt has an equally talented daughter whom resides in Prince Albert and creates the most exquisite handwoven mohair rugs. https://www.francesvh.com/
- Visit Oudtshoorn’s chicest hotel, Rosenhof Country House for a spot of lunch, but be sure to book ahead as it is by request only. https://www.rosenhof.co.za/
Rosenhof has been decorated by the owner’s daughter, Olga Barrow whom has a sharp eye for detail and beautiful furnishings: http://olgabarrow.com/
The Barrows are also the owners of the eponymous Le Lude in Franschhoek: https://lelude.co.za/
- It’s not glamorous but it IS natural.
The Calitzdorp spa offers natural hot water springs. Here one can enjoy solitude and soak up the mineral-rich warm outdoor pool and the much warmer indoor Roman Bath.
- If you’re an animal lover, you’ll be enchanted by the Meerkat Adventures between Calitzdorp and Oudtshoorn. You’ll have to get up before sunrise and enjoy a cup of hot coffee before the meerkats pop out of their burrows and you can enjoy watching these adorable creatures go about their morning routine of foraging and getting ready for breakfast.